Philadelphia Employment Law News

3 Steps to Take After a Workplace Injury

On-the-job injuries can leave you unable to work for weeks on end. Workers' compensation is intended to help you get the care you need and make ends meet while you're on the mend. However, for the uninitiated, navigating the workers' compensation system can be a bit overwhelming.

While it may be the last thing you feel like doing after suffering a serious injury, it's important to take steps to protect your interests as soon as a workplace injury occurs.

Here are some steps to consider taking after you're injured on the job, in order to claim workers' compensation benefits:

Get Medical Help

Your health should be your main priority. Even injuries that seem minor at first can develop into serious disabilities if left untreated. You should check with your human resources department for a list of approved doctors. You'll have to be treated by one of these doctors for the first 90 days following your injury.

Report the Injury

You should report the injury to your manager as soon as your condition is stable. A written report of the incident and the resulting injury is preferrable. If you fail to report the injury within 120 days, you lose the right to benefits.

It's your supervisor's responsibility to then file an accident report and send a "First Report of Occupational Injury" to the company's insurance company and the Bureau of Workers' Compensation. To be on the safe side, you should double check that your employer has taken these steps.

File a Claim

If your employer takes responsibility for your injury, you'll receive a "Notice of Compensation Payable" and receive compensation for your lost wages. On the other hand, if your employer denies responsibility, you'll receive a "Notice of Compensation Denial."

If that's the case, you can file a workers' compensation claim petition to have your case heard by a judge. In Pennsylvania, you have three years from the date you were injured to file a petition.

Before deciding on a course of action, it's in your best interests to consult with a workers' compensation attorney. Good luck.

Related Resources: